1. IS THE HANDBAG VEGAN?
- Yes, of course. We are making products that are beautiful, sustainable and cruelty-free. No compromises.
- Our proprietary canvas is plant-based, made of organic cotton and hemp. The trim and the handles are a vegan leather.
2. HOW IS THE EVERYTHING TOTE “SUSTAINABLE” AND “WASTE FREE?”
- We exist to build a circular design system and create a future without waste. To us, sustainability is the absence of waste.
- When we design we look at the full lifecycle of each component— what are the fibers and production processes used, how are workers treated, how it gets to you and finally, whether it can be upcycled or if it is forced into a landfill.
- Our goal is 100% material reutilization by ensuring the components to our products remain in perpetual cycles of use in Biological and/or Technical cycles. Biological means the material is biodegradable. Technical means the industrial material stays in the industrial cycle from which it came from.
- Our first product, the Everything Tote is 90% waste free. Meaning 85% of its components are biodegradable materials (exterior and interior canvas) and 5% of the components are technical materials (hardware). The trim, padding and thread are considered “waste.” We can recycle these materials, however they eventually end up in landfills as waste, so we are working hard to identify real upcycling streams.
- We are not 100% perfect yet, but with your help and innovative suppliers, we will reach our goal of zero waste.
3. WHAT IS CIRCULARITY AND THE CRADLE TO CRADLE™ FRAMEWORK?
- Founded by William McDonough and Michael Braungart, the Cradle to Cradle™ design framework is our guiding light.
- A circular economy looks beyond the current linear, take-make-dispose business model and aims to redefine growth.
- The Ellen MacArthur Foundation states the three principles best: 1) design out waste and pollution; 2) keep products and materials in use; and 3) regenerate natural systems.
4. DO YOU HAVE A RECYCLING PROGRAM?
- Yes! We design our accessories to last, because we believe making things is a lifetime commitment. When you’re done with your accessories (hopefully after many, many wears), we take them back to be worn, loved and upcycled all over again. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a mailing label.